MV Dirona


Up the West Coast of Vancouver Island:

Lemmens Inlet to Mosquito Harbour,

Meares Island, Clayoquot Sound

Day 6: Mosquito Harbour, Meares Island, Clayoquot Sound
It was quite foggy the next morning.  The entrance to the anchorage is almost blocked by a large aquaculture facility.  With a reef extending east from the 39-meter island which forms the anchorage, entering and leaving is a bit tricky, requiring a bow watch.
The tide was falling, and the current was really running at the entrance to Browning Passage.  We followed it east along the south side of Meares Island and then turned north into Tofiino Inlet to Kennedy Cove, at the mouth of the Kennedy River.  A cannery used to operated here, the ruins of the boiler visible at low tide. 
On the east shore, a substantial charted shipwreck was also revealed by the low water.
We took the dinghy down Kennedy River, hoping to reach Kennedy Lake, one of the largest on the island.  But if this were ever possible, we would need a lot more water.  We had a lot of fun charging around on the rocks though.
Leaving Kennedy Cove, we continued north along the eastern side of Meares Island and stopped in Mosquito Harbour, the easternmost of the two inlets that indent Meares Island.  We were hoping to find something in or around the Wood Islets at the entrance, but everything was too exposed.  There was nobody in Mosquito Harbour anyway.   That's Rhino Peak in the distance.
The tide was very high by then, so we were able to work our way into across the intertidal mouth of Sutton Mill Creek and into the creek itself.  It was very tranquil, with lush growth on either side.
At the north end of the flats, we found a small wilderness cabin, complete with a stove.  We charged around in the woods for a bit, looking for a trail that, according one of our maps, led west to Adventure Cove.  We couldn't find it, but we did find much evidence of bears in teeth marks in a garbage can and bark clawed from a tree.
It was a warm day and we very hot on returning to Dirona.   I jumped into the 62-degree water to cool off.  It felt really cold at first, almost knocking the wind out of me, but was quite refreshing after I got used to it.
After dinner that night, we took a thermos of coffee over to the Blackberry Islets in the middle of the harbour to watch the sun set.  Magic.




 [Previous]                     [Next]                    
Comments or questions? Feel free to contact us at or

Copyright 2012 Jennifer and James Hamilton