Charles Fort


Click for larger image

Charles Fort was completed in 1682 at Kinsale and is one of the largest military installations in Ireland. The fort is open to the public and receives over 85,000 visitors a year. It’s an easy 45-minute waterfront walk from the marina, with two pubs along the way.

Trip highlights from May 27th in Kinsale, Ireland follow. Click any image for a larger view, or click the position to view the location on a map. And a live map of our current route and most recent log entries always is available at http://mvdirona.com/maps

Click for larger image
Low Tide

The view across the head of Kinsale Harbour at low tide on our way to Charles Fort.
Click for larger image
The Spaniard

The Spaniard Pub was built on the ruins of an old castle around 1650 and has been a well-known pub ever since. We pretty much had to stop there for a pint of Murphy’s.
Click for larger image
Lower Road

Narrow Lower Road with a mix of old and new architecture.
Click for larger image
Scilly Walk

Scilly Walk follows the harbour and out to Charles Fort with great views along the way. The name derives from the Kinsale-area settlers from the Isles of Scilly off the British Cornish Coast.
Click for larger image
Kinsale Yacht Club

Looking back to the Kinsale Yacht Club from the Scilly Walk.
Click for larger image
Alice Again

The fishing vessel Alice Again returning to port with James Fort at center in the background.
Click for larger image
Greenery

We really enjoyed the view and the nature along Scilly Walk.
Click for larger image
Lamp Post

An old lamp post along Scilly Walk. The path likely was once the main road into town, and actually still is used as a road for some of the harbour-front houses.
Click for larger image
Charles Fort

Charles Fort was completed in 1682 and is one of the largest military installations in Ireland. The fort is open to the public and receives over 85,000 visitors a year. The parking lot was packed with cars and tour-buses when we arrived.
Click for larger image
Aerial Photo

Charles Fort is a classic example of a star-shaped fort and has five bastions, two to seaward and three landward.
Click for larger image
Seaward Bastions

Looking across the seaward bastions with the white lighthouse on the point between them.
Click for larger image
Ruins

During the Irish Civil War in 1922, forces opposed to the Anglo-Irish treaty burned the fort during their retreat. But much of the brick structures remain.
Click for larger image
Battery

Looking west across one of the gun batteries to the lighthouse and Kinsale Harbour
Click for larger image
Magazine

The powder magazine was specially constructed to avoid sparks with a wall around it to contain an explosion.
Click for larger image
Governor’s House

The Governor of Kinsale was a military officer who commanded the garrison at Kinsale and Charles Fort. This is the Governor’s House inside the fort.
Click for larger image
James Fort

Looking across to Kinsale with part of James Fort is at center in the foreground.
Click for larger image
Water Tanks

These octagonal structures at Charles Fort were built to support large water tanks.
Click for larger image
Bulman Pub

We’d walked past the Bulman Pub on our way to Charles Fort, but it was completely packed. We were able to get a spot on our return and had a great late lunch. On sunny days, the pub apparently is packed most of the time, particularly outside. Even a wedding party, at left of photo, stopped by for a pint.
Click for larger image
Lower Cove Harbour Walk

After lunch, we decided to do a little more walking. This is the view back to Charles Fort from the Lower Cove Harbour Walk.
Click for larger image
Kinsale Boatyard

The Kinsale Boatyard looked busy. The yard area ahead was full of boats, with many more not visible to the left of the photo. The boating season is just starting up here, so likely many are getting ready for the summer.
Click for larger image
Boat Lift

We couldn’t see a weight rating on this boat lift, but it looked about 20-30 tons. Much too light for Dirona‘s 55 tons. Fortunately we have no need of a lift.
Click for larger image
High Road

We returned to Kinsale along the High Road with its sweeping harbour view. Charles Fort is at the far left, Kinsale Boatyard is right of and just beyond Charles Fort, James Fort is at center, Castlepark Marina is right of James Fort, Compass Hill is across the water to the right, and Kinsale Yacht Club is on the far right.

Show locations on map Click the travel log icon on the left to see these locations on a map, with the complete log of our cruise.

On the map page, clicking on a camera or text icon will display a picture and/or log entry for that location, and clicking on the smaller icons along the route will display latitude, longitude and other navigation data for that location. And a live map of our current route and most recent log entries always is available at http://mvdirona.com/maps.

 
 


If your comment doesn't show up right away, send us email and we'll dredge it out of the spam filter.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *